Inventory Unit Detail
2012 Harley-Davidson® FLD Switchback
Oil City Customs
ember red sunglo
Easily convertible from cruising to touring, it's like two bikes in one, with no compromises.
- Clean Styling, Convertible Features: A union of opposites that sacrifices nothing, the Switchback's modern styling brings vintage Harley-Davidson® simplicity to today's roads in a look that defines classic: both true to its roots and completely contemporary. And with its detachable windshield and saddlebags, it's like having two bikes in one: a powerful, head-turning street cruiser that can also go the distance as a comfortable, easy-handling tourer.
- Cast Aluminum Wheels with Full Wrap Fenders: These full fenders do more than keep the mud off during your long-hauls—they add to the Switchback's unique, classic-contemporary profile. And neither are the 5-spoke hot-rod wheels just for show: they may be eye-catching, but their cast aluminum construction and balanced engineering enhance the bike's confident handling.
- Heritage Detailing: The Switchback's classic retro features have a contemporary look that'll never be lost in the crowd. From its hallmark headlight nacelle and its mini “ape hanger” handlebars, to its chromed-out fork covers and tank console with 5-inch speedo. this bike makes a modern visual statement that's truly rooted in Harley-Davidson® heritage.
- Premium Paint: Up to two times thicker than the competition, custom quality paint comes standard on all Harley-Davidson® motorcycles. Clearcoat layering up to five mils deep. Bigger metal flakes. Unique effects. Skimping simply is not in our vocabulary.
- Hand Finished Fuel Tank: All Harley-Davidson® fuel tanks are finished by hand—that's what makes them stand out. Their seamless design and unmatched style are unique among all motorcycles on the road. The tanks are one of the first and last things people notice when they lay their eyes on a Harley-Davidson® motorcycle—so we make sure it's a sight they'll remember.
- Twin Cam 103™ Engine Power: Live your ride to the power of 103. The air cooled Twin Cam 103 Harley Davidson® engine delivers more stump pulling torque, while its Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection jetting gives crisp, lively throttle reaction. It's a performance punch that you'll appreciate when passing, climbing hills, or rolling with luggage packed or a passenger in back—all under that signature Motor Company rumble. And it comes at lower cruising rpm, so you ride more smoothly, with less engine vibration and better highway fuel efficiency.
- Twin Cam 103™ Engine Heritage: The knowledge of what makes an engine truly move a rider runs deep at The Motor Company, and it was put to good use when we created the Twin Cam 103 engine. We sweated bullets perfecting every cubic inch, pushing design and technology forward. And we did it all without compromising one bit of Harley-Davidson's unique styling. Evolved, yet carrying on the legacy of the Flathead, Knucklehead, Panhead, Shovelhead®, Evolution®, Twin Cam 88® and Twin Cam 96™ engines that came before. The performance and durability are a direct result of the untold miles logged on the V-Twin since 1909, and the proud heritage that comes from a century's worth of commitment to life on two wheels.
- Twin Cam 103™ Engine Innovation: Fire up the Twin Cam 103 engine and feel the low-end torque unleashed. Thanks to the lightweight piston design, delivery of the added power is more refined than ever. Then put your foot on the shifter and feel how the engine and Six-Speed Cruise Drive® transmission were designed to work together. Six speeds. A strong driveline and strong internal parts. Low routine maintenance. And a low cruising rpm couldn't feel better.
- Pure Harley-Davidson® Styling: Feast your eyes on the Twin Cam 103™ engine and there's no mistaking its roots. This is authentic Harley-Davidson® style through and through with an attention to detail you won't find from any other motorcycle company. Black powder-coated heads and cylinders are highlighted by machined cooling fin tips and polished rocker covers. It's a jewel machined out of metal. Pure. Dripping with power. From the classic edge of the cooling fins to the clean lines of cases and covers—the Twin Cam 103 engine makes an ironclad statement about holding on to what's right and staying true to what satisfies.
- Six-Speed Cruise Drive®: You want a ride that rumbles—not begs for mercy—when you lean on it a little. The Six-Speed Cruise Drive provides smooth, quiet shifting and reduces engine speed on the highway, so you get a better match between engine turnover and road speed. And the Isolated Drive System makes acceleration flow in a smooth, steady stream from your wrist right down to the pavement. It's a rare ride when a bike responds like this, and a low growl goes a long way when you're opening up the road ahead.
- Artfully Hidden Technology: Harley-Davidson® leverages the latest in technology without compromising style and function. We keep the electronics hidden by skillfully routing much of the wiring harness inside the bike's frame, keeping it out of sight behind its true jewels—the tank, engine and all the other eye-popping features you want seen. It's just another way The Motor Company goes the extra mile to give its bikes that premium, top-of-the-line fit and finish.
- Intuitive Controls: Along with self-canceling turn signals that, based on the bike's speed and angle, know how long to stay on, the Switchback offers a new Flash-to-Pass switch and an the odometer trip-reset, all right at your fingertips. All these controls are incredibly intuitive, so engaging them becomes second nature quickly, letting you focus less on turning switches and more on the freedom of your ride.
- Anti-Lock Brakes (optional): Our anti-lock brakes give “stopping power” a double meaning. We keep our ABS components tastefully hidden within the wheel hub, so you'll turn heads with clean, streamlined design. But more importantly, you get certainty in the saddle knowing your bike's going to behave when you need it.
- H-D® Smart Security System (optional): The factory installed next-generation security system features a hands-free fob that automatically arms and disarms the vehicle electronic security functions as you approach and walk away from the bike. Stick the fob on your ignition key ring and let it do all the work. It's this attention to detail and security that make Harley-Davidson® motorcycles unique.
- Light Weight Chassis: You're moving with monster power, but the Switchback is no monster to control. The chassis is tuned for a light-weight feel and easy handling, so you can move and maneuver with complete confidence, in all driving conditions—even getting it on or off its stand is easy.
- Cartridge-Style Front Forks: Authentic throwback styling's easy on the eyes, but you want to be sure you're riding with state-of-the-art comfort and confidence. And the Switchback's beefy cartridge-style front forks give you top-notch smoothness whether you're blazing the blacktop across town, long-hauling to the next state, or just prowling a parking lot.
- Adjustable Cigar Tube Rear Shocks: The classic-style suspension covers may add to the Switchback's vintage Harley-Davidson® style, but the modern technology they're wrapped around delivers a ride that feels anything but old school. Oil immersion damping control gives a smooth, quality ride that makes it easy to go the distance. And preload can be adjusted with just a spanner wrench, so you can easily switch your suspension to suit your riding style, touring or cruising.
- Tuned to be Ridden: Harley-Davidson® motorcycles are different from any other bike out on the road. There's a balance to them. The steering, the maneuverability—it's all in concert. And each Harley-Davidson® model is tuned differently to create a unique riding experience for each individual no matter which bike they swing their leg over. Let's face it, we didn't get to where we are by being like everyone else.
- Clean Detachable Saddlebags: When you're touring, you want cargo space. When you're cruising, you want style, pure and simple. With its detachable saddlebags, your Switchback is always ready for what you want. The bags' unique design makes easy to load in your stuff, while their sealed, locking, hard-case exterior keeps it well-protected. And when it's time to convert, they come off quickly, cleanly, no tools needed. And like the classic Harley-Davidson® motorcycles it recalls, the Switchback looks great wearing its bags or not. So go ahead, change your mood whenever you want—your Switchback can keep up.
- Detachable Windshield: Go from touring to cruising in a heartbeat. Attach the windshield for protection from the elements. Or detach it in seconds for a new look and ride. The Lexan® screen is as tough as they come—durable, scratch resistant, low maintenance. And whether you choose to cruise or keep the shield on, your Switchback rules with a style and versatility you can make your own.
- 2-into-1 Exhaust: Recalling the bold pipe style of classic Harley-Davidson® motorcycles, the new 2-into-1 exhaust helps direct heat away from you and your passenger while delivering powerful performance—not to mention that signature Harley-Davidson® rumble every time you crack the throttle.
- Full-Length Rider Floorboards: Your boots were made for riding, in any way you see fit. Our full-length footboards boast a tried-and-true design that's stood the test of time. Plenty of foot positions for your taste and comfort. Rubber vibration isolation for a comfortable ride.
- Two-Up Seat: Nostalgic style meets contemporary sleekness and comfort in this deeply contoured, narrow-necked bucket. This saddle relieves pressure on your thighs, while providing back support and comfort, along with plenty of room for your friend to ride along. Additionally, premium stitching accentuates the advanced ergonomics with that sharp detail you only find on a Harley-Davidson® motorcycle. It's science in service of comfort, for the short cruise and the long haul.
- Seat Engineering and Design: The seat is home for Harley-Davidson® motorcycle riders. They want a seat that has unique style without sacrificing comfort. Because of that, Harley-Davidson® invests a lot of time in researching, designing and testing seats so that every bike has just the right saddle.
- Engine Idle Temperature Management Strategy: Engine Idle Temperature Management Strategy: Our motorcycles are built to be ridden. A lot. So that means that rider comfort is top of mind. Always. With the Engine Idle Temperature Management Strategy (EITMS) feature, the motorcycle automatically cuts fuel and fire from rear cylinder when idling, which helps reduce engine heat felt by rider and passenger. This feature can easily be turned on by your dealer.
- Length: 92.8 in. (2,357 mm)
- Seat Height, Laden: 26.1 in. (663 mm)
- Seat Height, Unladen: 27.4 in. (695 mm)
- Ground Clearance: 4.3 in. (110 mm)
- Rake (steering head) (deg): 29.9
- Trail: 5.84 in. (148.3 mm)
- Wheelbase: 62.8 in. (1,595 mm)
- Tires, Front Specification: 130/70B18 63H
- Tires, Rear Specification: 160/70B17 73H
- Fuel Capacity: 4.7 gal. (17.8 L)
- Oil Capacity (w/filter): 3 qt. (2.8 L)
- Weight, As Shipped: 696 lb. (316 kg)
- Weight, In Running Order: 718 lb. (326 kg)
- Engine: Air-cooled, Twin Cam 103™
- Bore: 3.875 in. (98.4 mm)
- Stroke: 4.38 in. (111.3 mm)
- Displacement: 103 cu in (1,690 cc)
- Compression Ratio: 9.6:1
- Fuel System: Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI)
- Primary Drive: Chain, 34/46 ratio
- Gear Ratios (overall) 1st: 9.311
- Gear Ratios (overall) 2nd: 6.454
- Gear Ratios (overall) 3rd: 4.793
- Gear Ratios (overall) 4th: 3.882
- Gear Ratios (overall) 5th: 3.307
- Gear Ratios (overall) 6th: 2.79
- Exhaust: New 2-into-1 chrome exhaust with straight-cut muffler
- Wheels, Front Type: Black, 5-Spoke Cast Aluminum
- Wheels, Rear Type: Black, 5-Spoke Cast Aluminum
- Brakes, Caliper Type: 4-piston fixed front, and 2-piston torque-free floating rear
- Engine Torque Testing Method: J1349
- Engine Torque: 100 ft-lb (136 Nm)
- Engine Torque (rpm): 3,500
- Lean Angle, Right (deg.): 29
- Lean Angle, Left (deg.): 29
- Fuel Economy Combined City/Hwy: 42 mpg (5.6 L/100 km)
- Lights (as per country regulation), Indicator Lamps: High beam, neutral, low oil pressure, engine diagnostics, turn signals, low fuel warning, ABS (optional), low battery, body controller diagnostics
- Gauges: Tank-mounted electronic speedometer with odometer, time-of-day clock on odometer, dual tripmeter, RPM/Gear display, fuel gauge with low fuel warning light and countdown feature, low oil pressure indicator light, engine diagnostics readout, LED indicator lights, 6-speed indicator light
NOTES:Vehicles depicted may differ from vehicles manufactured and delivered. Specifications and prices listed may differ from specifications and prices of vehicles manufactured and delivered. All product descriptions (including depictions, specifications, dimensions, measurements, ratings and competitive comparisons) are based on available information at the time of publication. Although such descriptions are believed correct, errors and changes can occur and complete accuracy cannot be guaranteed. Harley-Davidson may make changes at any time to prices and specifications, and may change or discontinue models, without notice and without incurring any obligation. Attention: Vehicles in the configurations shown and many of the accessories described in this catalog may not be available for sale or use in some locations. Please check with your dealer for complete product details and the latest information. All models feature 6-speed transmission (VRSC™ models and Sportster® models are 5-speed) and carbon fiber belt final drive; multi-plate clutch with diaphragm spring in oil bath; and 2-year unlimited mileage warranty.
- Engine Type
- Twin Cam 103™
- 103 cu. in. (1,690 cc)
- Bore and Stroke
- 3.875 in. (98.4 mm) x 4.38 in. (111.3 mm)
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI)
- Front Brakes
- 4-piston fixed
- Rear Brakes
- 2-piston torque-free floating
- Front Tire
- 130/70B18 63H
- Rear Tire
- 160/70B17 73H
- 62.8 in. (1,595 mm)
- Seat Height
- Laden: 26.1 in. (663 mm); Unladen: 27.4 in. (695 mm)
- 29.9 deg.
- 5.84 in. (148.3 mm)
- Fuel Capacity
- 4.7 gal. (17.8 L)
- 42 mpg (5.6 L/100 km)
- Dry Weight
- 696 lb. (316 kg)
- Final Drive
- Chain, 34/46 ratio
- Vivid Black
- 2 year unlimited mileage